Marriage counseling is a type of therapy that helps couples recognize and resolve conflicts and improve their relationship. In other words, we help you navigate the unique challenges and difficulties you are facing in your marriage relationship.
Common Signs You May Benefit from Marriage Counseling:
- You have stopped communicating
- When you talk to each other, it is always negative
- You feel afraid to talk about certain topics
- When affection is withheld as punishment
- You keep secrets from your spouse
- You or your spouse are financially, emotionally, or physically unfaithful
- You are living separate lives
- You feel caught in the cycle of the “same old fights”
- You feel hopeless of improvement in your marriage
- You feel unable to resolve your differences
- When separation feels like the only way to find relief
- You find yourselves in a new transition that is overwhelming or stressful such as: becoming new parents, blended family, just moved here, empty nest, adoption or foster care
What can I expect from marriage counseling?
We at Authentic Connections Counseling understand that marital distress is a tender, confusing, and disparaging place to be. In many ways, we function as a mediator … an outside perspective that can help make sense of the confusing and conflicting emotions. We are committed to providing a safe and non-judgmental space for you to verbalize and explore deep and hard struggles. Our desire is to listen well and fully understand both perspectives, while helping you each hear and understand one another.
Marriage Counseling can help:
- increase intimacy and connection
- learn how to fight fair and remained connected while disagreeing
- explore and gain insight from family of origin spoken and unspoken “rules of life” that you
have both brought into your marriage
- increase understanding and insight for one another
- rekindle emotional and psychical connection
- feel supported through times of crisis or transition
- learn how to communicate about hard subjects, sex, conflict, parenting etc..
*Also available Pre-marital counseling focusing on issues such as: sex, finances, child rearing, religion/spirituality, relations with in-laws, and communication/fighting fair
Every family has its own unique “dance”. The dance pattern can be beautiful and enriching, or sometimes painful and damaging. Most family dances are a mixture of both. Our families can be the greatest source of support, comfort, love, and joy. Adversely, family can also be a large source of pain, conflict, tension, and grief. Family therapy is a great resource to help you weather such difficult seasons of life. Here at Authentic Connections Counseling, we desire to help families achieve health and wholeness.
- Provide a safe, nurturing space to verbalize hurts
- Explore unloving patterns of relating
- Explore family roles, rules, and behavior patterns
- Mediate and resolve relational conflict
- Develop new communication and behavioral patterns
- Help heal emotional wounds
- Journey with families through crises