What is a Spiritual Director?
Life is a journey … a pilgrimage of sorts with many transitions and valleys. A spiritual director is a fellow pilgrim offering guidance and discernment of God’s presence with us on that journey. He or she is there to provide encouragement, assisting the person back to the work of the Spirit in his or her life. A spiritual director is going to help facilitate a deeper dialogue between that person and God. The spiritual director may ask questions like, “Where is God in this? Where do you sense God’s activity in your life today? How is God present to you at this time?”
What Spiritual Direction is not:
- It is not giving advice
- It does not give answers as much as ask questions
- It is not accountability but accompaniment
- Not problem solving but compassionate listening
- Not teaching but guiding
- Not a place for managing sin, but rather cultivating an awareness of God’s activity within us.
- Spiritual Directors are not mediators between God and man, but rather facilitators who help someone hear from God themselves.
What can I expect from Spiritual Direction?
Here at Authentic Connections, Dave Holabeck, MA is our Spiritual Director. He offers a safe place, without judgment, as he works alongside you as a spiritual companion. He desires to help you become more attuned to God’s presence in your life. There is no set agenda outside of a growing awareness of the Spirit of God in the day in and day out aspects of your life. The hope is to foster a deeper capacity of what it means to abide in Christ, to hear from God, to love as Jesus loves, and to live in obedience to His call. This will happen through prayer, conversation, and listening as thoughts and hearts are focused on God’s presence.
Call Dave today to schedule some time with him @ 720-370-3010 x107