High Functioning Depression
Depression is a common mental health condition that affects millions of people worldwide. While depression is often associated with a lack of productivity, motivation, and energy, some people with depression may still appear to function well on the surface. This is known as high functioning depression. Authentic Connections Counseling Center is here to help you explore what high functioning depression looks like, how it can impact your life, and what you can do to manage it.
What is High Functioning Depression?
High functioning depression is a type of depression where individuals can maintain their daily responsibilities and activities despite experiencing significant depression symptoms. They may appear to be functioning well on the surface, but inwardly, they may be struggling with intense feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and despair.
Signs of High Functioning Depression
If you suspect you or someone you know may have high functioning depression, here are some common signs to look out for:
- Difficulty experiencing joy: Individuals with high functioning depression may struggle to experience pleasure or joy in their daily activities, even if they appear to be enjoying them on the surface.
- High standards and self-criticism: They may have high standards for themselves, and they may be overly self-critical, often feeling like they are not doing enough.
- Difficulty concentrating: They may struggle with concentration and focus, making it challenging to complete tasks or stay on track with their responsibilities.
- Increased irritability: They may be easily irritated or angered, often feeling overwhelmed by even minor stressors.
- Fatigue: They may feel constantly tired, even after a full night’s sleep, and struggle to find the energy to complete tasks.
- Social withdrawal: They may withdraw from social situations, preferring to spend time alone rather than engaging with others.
Are you experiencing symptoms similar to what has been listed? If so, we are here to help! In fact, we have several trained therapists that would love to walk alongside you in getting back to your true self.
Impact of High Functioning Depression
High functioning depression can impact every area of life, from work to personal relationships. It can lead to feelings of exhaustion, burnout, and frustration, as well as physical symptoms such as headaches, muscle tension, and stomach problems. It can also contribute to a cycle of unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as overworking, avoiding uncomfortable situations, or turning to substances to manage depression. If this is you, seek out help! Authentic Connections Counseling Center is just a phone call away at (720)-370-3010, if you don’t know where to start.
Managing High Functioning Depression
If you suspect you may have high functioning depression, there are steps you can take to manage it. Here are some tips:
- Practice self-care: Take care of yourself physically, emotionally, and mentally. This means prioritizing your own needs and desires, engaging in activities that bring you joy and fulfillment, and practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or yoga.
- Challenge negative thoughts: Learn to recognize and challenge negative thoughts that contribute to depression. Ask yourself if your worries are realistic or if there is evidence to support them.
- Seek social support: Connect with friends and loved ones, and seek support from a therapist or counselor. Talking to others about your struggles can help you feel less alone and more understood.
- Establish boundaries: Learning to set boundaries is crucial in managing high functioning depression. Start by identifying your needs and limits, and communicate them clearly to others.
High functioning depression may not be obvious to those around you, but it can still be debilitating. By recognizing the signs of high functioning depression and taking steps to manage it, you can begin to live a more fulfilling and enjoyable life. Remember, seeking help is a sign of strength, and taking care of your mental health is essential for your overall well-being.
At Authentic Connections Counseling Center, we make it our mission to assign clients to the right therapists and we promise to involve you every step of the way to ensure you feel comfortable and cared for throughout the entire process. If you would like help in this journey, we are here to find a therapist that meets your needs and aligns with your values. If you’re ready to make the phone call, please reach out to us at 720-370-3010 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. The right therapist can make all the difference in your path to reducing depression symptoms and improving your overall well-being and we would be honored to be that difference in your life!