You might have stumbled upon this post because you’re currently dealing with some element of life where the thought of remaining positive feels incredibly difficult. Maybe you’re in a difficult situation at work, or you’re drowning in personal difficulties, and you’re looking for a sense of relief. What if I were to tell you you’re not alone?
In my work as a therapist, I frequently see patients who are having a hard time maintaining a positive outlook on life, and I completely understand. With mass layoffs affecting millions, a never-ending pandemic, and a possible recession, it can be hard to stay positive right now in the times we’re living in. When life throws you curveballs, it's normal to feel overburdened or defeated. Yet, if you have the correct attitude and follow some useful advice, it is very possible to remain positive, and work to get through any difficulties that may arise.
Here are five tips for staying positive even in difficult times.
1. Develop a positive outlook: This one might seem like a no-brainer and easier said than done, but I want to mention it because being optimistic during difficult times requires intentionally cultivating a positive outlook. Look in the mirror, focus on your positive qualities, and remind yourself of your major accomplishments. Spend time with people who make you feel good about yourself, and engage in activities that uplift you. This will assist you in keeping your attention on the here and now and the positive aspects of life.
2. Engage in self-care: It's crucial to look after yourself when you're down. Spend some time each day engaging in self-care practices, including reading, meditation, music listening, or taking a relaxing bath. Self-care is not only beneficial for your mental health, but it will also keep you optimistic during trying times.
3. Keep in touch with friends and family: A key component of maintaining positivity during difficult times is maintaining relationships with family and friends. Contact those who can offer you emotional support and positive vibes. Having a solid support network will aid in maintaining your motivation and attention on the positive aspects of life.
4. Find your gratitude: You can maintain your optimism even in difficult circumstances by concentrating on the good things in your life. Spend some time thanking the people and things in your life that make you feel complete. This will help you put things into perspective and serve as a reminder of all the positive things in your life. A powerful way to practice gratitude is by speaking things out-loud. For example: "I have gratitude for this food that will provide me nourishment as I ease into my day"
5. Set goals: Maintaining your goals is a great way to stay positive in tough times. Having something to work toward each day will help you stay focused and motivated. A way to ease into this is to make sure the goals are realistic and achievable—for example, I will go for a 10-minute walk today! Setting achievable goals will help you stay on track and will provide a sense of accomplishment when you reach them.
6. Seek Therapy: If you live in the South Denver area, we offer in-person and virtual therapy to the whole state of colorado. We can work alongside you to help you develop a more positive mindset and make lasting changes in your life.
Regardless of your situation, there is help available for you. If you’d love to know more about how we can help you, our team at Authentic Connections Counseling Center in Castle Rock, Colorado are here to support you. You can book a session by calling 720-370-3010 x100 or emailing us at email@example.com for more information.